I got fussed at majorly by the subject of today's post, because she expected to see it featured yesterday.
Well... due to my habit of napping longer than I should, combined with a midterm today and my Daily Tar Heel shift...
I forgot.
Oops.
Anyway, Week 3 of my organizational help lands itself in my suitemate Katie's closet.
This is a danger zone.
I didn't know there were females alive that could forget what they had in their closet. But I was wrong. I've known Katie since elementary school, and I saw her pretty much every day in high school.
There are clothes in that closet that I've never seen on her, not even in pictures. Scary life.
Here's her closet... and here's my first rule.
1.) Have some sort of system, be it organizing by type of clothing (dress, pants, skirt, long-sleeved, short-sleeved, etc.) or by color (I prefer to use this method).
Katie does not have a system.
This is the full view.
2.) Don't use your closet to stash things that you don't need to keep or things you use regularly, other than clothing and accessories.
Katie, once again, does not follow this rule.
Keep your clothes, shoes, luggage, bags, extra blankets, etc. in a closet — especially a dorm closet! I understand that totally. But oh, lovely Katie, you use paper towels, cups, forks, etc. on a regular basis – they don't belong in your closet!
Don't worry, I found them a new home.
Also, if you were wondering – those big blue containers on the ground are full of hoodies and shoes.
3.) Put the things you use the least on the highest shelves.
In Katie's case, she needs daily access to her pants, certain tote bags, sweatshirts (which are in a plastic bin on the floor of the closet), cups, and paper towels.
She doesn't need her formal shoes (far right), luggage, plethora of Scout bags, or extra toiletries (stashed in that orange bag on the bottom shelf and the pink one on the top shelf) on a daily basis, nor does she need her pillows or blankets.
She never needs the box for her fish tank, so I hid that in the corner of the closet where I put other things she never uses. Shhhhh.
4.) Shoes take over closets. Find a system.
I'm still working on this part.
But my system is a big wicker basket on the floor of my closet, with my boots sitting beside it so they don't get squished.
5.) Know what you have and why you have it.
If you forgot about something in your closet, figure out why you forgot about it – either wear it or give it away and find something new to replace it.
6.) Make the most of the space you're given.
Katie has a HUGE closet, especially since her dresser isn't inside of it like mine is inside my closet. She has ample space for all of her crap... which is why she needs me to clean it up. When I started, she had so much stuff in her closet that she could barely move her clothes around. Now that I got my hands on it, she actually has empty space!
Not a tip here, but look at how cute her idea here was! I love this method of displaying jewelry, even if it's hidden by all of the clothes in her closet.
7.) There is a major difference between clothes that belong in drawers and clothes that don't.
Katie had this CUTE CUTE CUTE dress hidden in a drawer.
In a drawer.
I can't get over it.
Dresses, skirts, and nice shirts and blouses don't belong in drawers. Things that wrinkle easily do not belong in drawers. Nice clothing does not belong in drawers.
Here is Katie's closet after most of the major transformation! How much better does that look?
Look at all that empty space and organized-ness!?
I could not be prouder.
-----
Happy organizing!
Much love,
Paige













No comments:
Post a Comment