My Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Organization, Week by Week: Week 2

Today's organizational topic of choice: drawers!


Here are my rules for keeping drawers organized.

1. Fold everything. 

If you tear it up in the morning, refold it when you get the next opportunity. A jumbled up mess of clothes is only going to frustrate you.


Have very defined stacks of folded clothing. It'll help. Don't just throw things into your drawers just because you can't see them.

2. Keep seasonal clothing separate.

Make sure you divide long-sleeved shirts from short-sleeved, pants from shorts, tank tops from sweaters, etc. 

Keeping a clear divide not only makes it easier to get dressed in the morning, but you also know where to go if you need a pair of jeans or a tank top – you don't have to dig through a pile of sweaters, t-shirts, and blouses to find something you need.

3. Use a folding system that works for you and what you need from your dresser.


I am very particular about how I organize my drawers. I even fold my underwear so I can file through them like my t-shirts. (I won't show you that.)

My t-shirt and shorts drawer is the one pictured above, and I must be able to see what I have at all times.

(I picked up this idea from here! It's so useful.)

But other people like to have things in neat stacks – like my suitemate, Katie. There's nothing wrong with that either. Just figure out what way works best for you.


4. Try to utilize all the space you are given.

If you have five drawers, use all five drawers! Never use boxes or plastic containers to store winter clothes if you have an entire drawer in which to store them. 

5. Go through every drawer at the start every season.

Begin the purging process.

If you haven't worn it in a year, you aren't going to. 

If it is uncomfortable or doesn't fit well, it won't ever change. (Unless you know how to sew and mend clothes.)

If it isn't yours, why is it in your drawers? Give your spouse/boyfriend/friend/family member back their clothes.

If it's wrinkled, iron or steam it and decide whether you should hang it up or return it to its drawer. 

If it's damaged or missing a button, repair it or throw it out!

-----

Happy organizing!

Much love,

Paige

1 comment:

  1. Who are you and what have you done with Paige

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...