My Blog

Friday, October 4, 2013

priority versus non-priority


The usual way I do to-do lists is kind of similar to how I assume everyone else in the known universe does them. I get out a piece of paper and write down everything that I need to get done as I think of it, or as I get it out of my planner. I have no method to my madness (which is surprisingly unlike me). I just write it down. One after another.

Priority is mixed in with non-priority. Things on deadline are mixed in with things I could get away with never doing. Big projects are mixed in with little chores. 

And things get lost. 

I read an article a while ago about priorities. And the article stressed the importance of separating your tasks into priority and non-priority — Priority A, Priority B, Priority C, etc. — making a distinction between things that must get done and things that can wait until tomorrow.

So I tried it.


I knew that homework and reading with deadlines or relevance in class the next day needed to be a priority. Work for the DTH, blog posts for the next day, answering emails, going to the bank — all priorities. Things without deadlines, assignments that I had some time to work on, laundry or dirty dishes or a car in need of washing — non-priorities. But what ended up happening was pretty un-surprising for me.

I decided everything was a priority.

Everyone reading who's surprised, please raise your hand.

Yeah, didn't think so.

But I recognize where this tip comes from. And it makes a lot of sense. (Maybe for people who have a problem with over-prioritizing. It's probably meant for us.)

But for me, it looks like the idea of priority versus non-priority is not meant to be.

If you were curious, I'm currently working with a Long List, Short List notepad from Knock Knock Stuff. I snagged it from Target clearance at only $4.50, when in stores they're usually like $12. So I was pleased. 

I put all of my homework and things on the Long List half, and all of my important things coming up on the short list. It's been going interestingly so far. I don't know if I like this system, but I really can't find a system that I enjoy this year. I'm hoping something jumps out at me soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...